Review by BJO'K
I really enjoyed this. It reminds me of Humiliation, the great
game in David Lodge's brilliant comic novel Changing Places. Humiliation is a
game played by English Literature academics - you name a work of literature you
haven't read and get a point for everyone else who has. It's ages since I read
it but I do remember an eminent professor getting into trouble when, in an
attempt to win a game, he owns up to never having read Hamlet.
We all have
great books that we have yet to read and we have all at some time probably
claimed to have read ones that we haven't. Andy Miller uses this as his
starting point, chronicling his 'year of betterment' in which he sets about
reading fifty great (and some not so great) novels. The result is a witty,
winning and very entertaining combination of autobiography and reflections on
the significance of reading (and of Neil Young) in all our lives.


No comments:
Post a Comment