Monday, 17 January 2022

Books of the Week

Today's post features a second batch of book recommendations from 4E.  

The Beach by Alex Garland
Recommended by Felix 


An adventure fiction novel because about a young English backpacker who journeys to Thailand in the 1990s. He encounters a huge amount of things, and learns about all the different places that exist within the country.


I thought this book was gripping and thoroughly enjoyable as the reader really has time to get to know the main characters and care for them, so that when they are in danger you are worried along with them. I think the book helps to show just how many beautiful places exist around the world, with there also being slight warnings referring to overpopulation and pollution. I would highly recommend this book.

The Scar by China Miéville
Recommended by Freddie

A dystopian novel set in an alternate reality on a planet very similar to earth geologically. The imagination and creativity put into this novel is incredible, the plot constantly evolves and it is very well written. 


Once the story gets into swing it is very fast paced, although the start is quite slow, and there is some buildup. I give this book a 5/5.

DC - Kingdom Come by Mark Waid and Alex Ross
Recommended by Hayden


A graphic novel telling of the hardships that come with the transition from a world ruled by bad to good.



I thought this book was great, the art and design were really well thought of, and all the time poured into the making of this novel was clearly expressed in every single page.

Blood Meridian by Cormac McCarthy
Recommended by Louis


An action and adventure Western set in a historical time during the mid 1800’s. The book follows a nameless teen boy who joins John Joel Glanton's real-life gang of American mercenaries.


I thought this book was fast paced, and although it was easy to get confused, it was nevertheless a gripping novel which I found it hard to put down and a great story line.

Savage Drift by Emmy Laybourne
Recommended by Michael


I would describe this book as action/adventure/thriller.


I thought this book was good,maybe the best in the trilogy. It was gripping and a fair bit more interesting than the average dystopian novel

Of Mice and Men by John Steinbeck
Recommended by Philipp


Historical fiction, which tells the story of two men in the 1930s, striving for the American dream. 


I thought this book was particularly good at presenting society in the 1930s through the farm which was a microcosm of the time and shows all facades of the complex society in the Great Depression.

The Woman in Black by Susan Hill
Recommended by Saahil


A horror story set in 19th century England, this book was a chilling account of an accountant from London who is going to settle the accounts of a recently deceased recluse in the far outskirts of England. He encounters a menacing spirit of a woman in black.

Divergent by Veronica Roth
Recommended by Vyom

A dystopian novel set in a divided world. It is the first book of a trilogy and follows Tris, a girl who is searching for a sense of belonging in a world where she doesn’t fit. 


I thought this book was very good because it was very gripping. The beginning was slightly slow but after that the pace picked up and the plot was very good.

Soccernomics by Simon Kuper and Stefan Szymanski
Recommended by Henry


A non-fiction book dedicated to the ‘numbers’ in football. I thought this book was very interesting because it explained what goes on beneath the surface at football clubs. 


It talks about how transfers are made, the best way to score and take penalties based on stats and how the wage bill improves the teams league position. However the most interesting part of the book for me was an explanation on why England are so much worse than other footballing nations and never win trophies.

Many thanks once again to 4E for sharing their recommendations, and also to Miss McLaughlin for kindly putting them together.  


No comments:

Post a Comment